Ljubljana/Vienna, 4 March 2021 – On 8 March 2021 International Institute for Middle East and Balkan Studies (IFIMES) organizes together with partners in Vienna international conference entitled Europe Future Neighbourhood - Disruptions, Recalibration, Continuity. Co-organizers of the event are IFIMES along with Modern Diplomacy (the EU-based news platform, www.moderndiplomacy.eu), European Perspectives (the international scientific journal, www.europeanperspectives.org), Vienna School of International Studies (the oldest diplomatic school in the world, www.da-vienna.ac.at) and Culture for Peace (the Vienna-based platform for arts, culture and applied science, www.upf-cultureforpeace.org).
Information about the detailed program and registration:
On behalf of the organizers, the conference will be opened by Dr. Emil Brix, director of the Vienna School of International Studies(DAW) and Dr. Ernest Petrič, former President of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Slovenia and Vice-President of the IFIMES Advisory Board.
The participants will be addressed by Olivér Várhelyi, EU Commissioner European Neighbourhood and Enlargement, Dunja Mijatović, Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights (tbc), George W. Vella, President of the Republic of Malta and Ilir Meta, President of the Republic of Albania (OSCE 2020 Chairmanship country).
First panel is entitled“Revisiting and Rethinking Euro-Med: Fostering dialogue and a cooperative approach to addressing common challenges”. Moderator of this panel is Lamberto Zannier, OSCE Sec-General (2011-2017), director of Euro-Mediterranean Diplomacy and Intercultural Affairs at IFIMES. The panellists are:
- Pascal Allizard, Senator, OSCE Parliamentary Assembly Vice President, Special Rapporteur for Mediterranean issues
- Gustavo Pallares, Deputy Secretary General OSCE Parliamentary Assembly
- Monika Wohlfeld, German Chair for Peace Studies and Conflict Prevention, Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies
- Ali Goutali, OIC Jeddah, Director
- Ettore Greco, Executive Vice President of the IAI, Head of the Multilateralism and Global Governance programme
- Emiliano Alessandri, Senior External Co-operation Officer, OSCE
Second Panel is entitled “Rule of Law, Health to Education, Social compact, Business continuity in times of C-19 & Europe’s reindustrialisation; Cross-generational and Economic greening; Transit and energy security;”. Moderator of this panel is Lejla Mazlic, Al Jazeera. The panellists are:
- Florian Iwinjak, UNIDO, Strategic Relations and Resource Mobilisation
- Carlos López-Veraza Perez, Public Prosecutor, Spain
- UNCTAD designate – II Dimension, tba
- ILO designate – EYS Dimension, tba
- Kamila Zarychta Romanowska, Parliamentary Litigator, EU/Poland
- Maria Smotrytska, Ukrainian Association of Sinologists, Shanghai/Kyiv
Third Panel is entitled “Brexit and Future of cross-Atlantic relations: Decoupling or Recalibration?”. Moderator of this panel is Katrin Harvey, Ban Ki-moon Centre for Global Citizens, Vienna/Seoul. The panellists are:
- Eva Kaili, MEP Industry, Research and Energy (AI in a Digital Age), EU/Brussels
- Katarzyna Zysk, Deputy Director, Norwegian Institute for Defence Studies
- Scott Younger, Intl Chancellor President University, UK/Scotland
- Elizabeth Deheza, Head, Latin America Strategic Intelligence, London
- Matthias E. Leitner, University of Bonn, Germany
- Sinisa Ljepojevic, Tanjug correspondent London/Washington (aD)
- Heather Katharine McRobie, Oxford & Bifröst University, UK/AUS/IS
The conference will end with the music programme entitled “From Culture for Peace to Culture of Peace” by Reine Hirano, MSa (cello), Tokyo, Japan, performing Tchaikovsky, Bach and Saint-Saëns live at DAW premises.
International Institute IFIMES and its co-organizers have been joined by numerous universities from Europe, Asia, Africa and America, while the media partners are four renowned European diplomatic magazines and partners from Asia.
The international conference in part of four-tier 2020-21 International Conference of the Vienna Process - Vienna (July 2020 & March 2021), Geneva (May 2021) and Barcelona (September 2021).
Vienna July 2020 - Vienna Process I after movie is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHxZFaWfgM
Ljubljana/Vienna, 4 March 2021
 IFIMES – International Institute for Middle East and Balkan Studies, based in Ljubljana, Slovenia, has Special Consultative status at ECOSOC/UN since 2018.