Presentation of IFIMES awards
Presentation of IFIMES awards
BLED,14 June 2013 - On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 19.00 h, the International Institute for Middle-East and Balkan Studies (IFIMES) held a special ceremony at Bled, where it presented awards to:
- His Excellency Željko Komšić, Chairman of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina - award for his contribution to stability and peace in the Western Balkans
- His Excellency Dr Guido Westerwelle, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Germany - "The World positive personality in foreign policy 2012" award
- His Excellency Dr Nabil El Araby, Secretary General of the Arab League- "The World personality of 2012 award"
- Dr Hannes Swoboda, Member of the European Parliament, Chair of the Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament - "The most visible European politician in the West Balkans" award
- His Excellency Ambassador Jean-Paul Carteron, Chairman and Founder of Crans Montana Forum- "The lifetime achievement award"
Awards were presented by the Honorary President of the IFIMES International Institute Mr. Stjepan Mesić, President of the IFIMES Advisory Board Mr. Budimir Lončar, Vice-President of the Advisory Board Mr. Zoran Živković, Member of the Advisory Board, Mrs. Jadranka Kosor and Director of the Institute Bakhatyar Aljaf.
In the opening address President of the Council of the Institute Dr Craig T. Smith stressed the importance of such awards because they enable organisations such as IFIMES to show that they appreciate the activities and efforts of individuals to create better conditions for dialogue and life for all of us. With their work the laureates have proven that even in difficult times it is possible to find compromises and solutions for a better tomorrow. This is especially important for the Balkan and Middle East regions, which are also covered by the IFIMES International Institute. Those regions occupy a special position in the world map and their role will be even more important in the future.
In his speech Director of the IFIMES Institute Zijad Bećirović noted that in this world there are certain individuals whose work and acts have inspired many others and who stand out because of their strong dedication. It is therefore appropriate to honour them, present them awards and show them our respect and gratitude for everything they have done for their fellow citizens, their country, the region, the world and for the better future of us all.
The laureates thanked the Institute for the honour given to them and stressed that the awards represent a confirmation of their work and motivation for future efforts.
Besides the Institute's management the ceremony was attended by numerous personalities from the political, business and public life from Slovenia as well as the Balkan and Middle East countries.
The award ceremony was followed by the reception in the honour of the laureates.
Ljubljana, 14 June 2013